Konga Verified Blogger

Sunday 20 September 2015

Fake Modelling Agencies and Modelling Scams You Need To Avoid 1

Hey all?? How is your weekend?? Mine is going well.



Today, I'm going to talk about one of the problems most models face in Nigeria, modelling agencies. I mean fake modelling agencies and modelling scams. I know as an upcoming model, you are so passionate about modelling and you try to look for ways and avenues to make it as a model, I understand that feeling, I was once down that lane. But you need to be careful, I mean very careful. I don't want this post to be a rush work, I want you guys to enjoy it and learn a lot from it, so I did my research and asked models to share their experiences with fake agencies and modelling scams. Well some said they have had no experience so far(lucky you), some were reluctant to talk, some wanted their names mentioned and some did not because they felt it will be "bad business"for them(whatever that is). There are so many fake agencies nowadays and scammers who are looking for models to dupe and exploit. I bet you guys know this already. So I'm going to talk about how to spot this fake agencies or scammers, but first let me share these experiences I gathered from them so you don't make this little mistakes and fall into their traps.

The first on the list is Adeniran Olamilekan Adeywealth, he says "The name of the so-called agency is "pa............." They called for an audition. My friend and I were so happy because we were made known that the agency is in conjunction with Kanu Nwankwor (the footballer) or better still, he owns the agency. After been screened by some personalities like Y........ (a media personality) who was among the judges, I was really wowed that they are for real. A message was sent to those of us that were scouted by the agency and I was like this is going to be a great opportunity for me as an upcoming model. A week later, we were sent a text message to come for a briefing. When we(the models) got there, they started on a good ground by telling us the benefits we will enjoy by joining the agency. We were asked to pay a sum of 10,000 naira for registration. So many models flared up, both the experienced and inexperienced. So may questions were thrown like how are we so sure we are going to get the jobs, blah blah blah, they tried to convince us. But because it is the first time an agency is scouting me, I was really enthusiastic, I gave in to their tricks and payed for the registration and also persuaded other models to pay for the registration. After payment, they called us for grooming, after grooming, the three weeks that followed was full of cock and bull stories. Later I stopped getting messages from them. I contacted a guy who was introduced to us as the manager, he said he doesn't work with them anymore because of remuneration issues. Till this moment, no job, no photo shoot, that was the last we heard from them. What i want other models to learn from this is that they should do their homework so that they don't fall into wrong hands. Also no genuine modelling agency will ask you to pay any fees before giving you jobs, since they are really interested in you. Note: this can be avoided when you are scouted during open casting calls. thank you." You know the funny thing about his story, the name of the agency. I intend not to mention the name of the agencies involved but i need to tell you this. The name of the agency is *drum roll* Papilo Modelling Agency. hahahahaha. What kind of name is that?? Papillo?? If i was in his shoes, i would have suspected foul play from the beginning especially when I am told Kanu Nwankwor owns the agency. Kanu Nwankwor ke?? own a modelling agency ke? that is ultra vires, going outside the objects of the articles and memorandum of association(I'm sorry, just talked like a lawyer). But how and why will Kanu Nwankwor want to own an agency?? He is a big footballer and a rich one for that matter, so what business does he have in owning an agency when the money he can get by owning a modelling agency is little compared to what he gets as a footballer. The morale of his story is people use other people's name to dupe models, so please be careful. I will talk about that later. Lets go to the next.

This guy's name is Timi, he says, "then when i was looking for agencies to join as a new model, I saw a message on Facebook about new models needed to sign under an agency. I went for the casting and I was picked, I was really happy. Later, we(models selected) were told to pay a sum of 8,500naira for "proper registration" and for photo shoots. After payment, we models were asked to come to a studio at Ikeja. On getting there, it was a clubhouse(ghen ghen), in short, there was no studio. We called the number we were given, it was switched off. The name of the agency is McModelz". Hmm another funny agency name. I'm not saying you should judge by agency name, in law, we were taught registration of business names, I'm sure there are some names the registrar of business names will be unwillingly to register even if the name has passed the test.

Next story, this guy doesn't want to be mentioned. He says, "this is a particular lady, her name is L........., she sent a message that she needed models for a calendar job. I went there with some friends to Ikeja. On getting there, she had on ground a makeup artiste and a photographer, we thought it was a casting. She took our pictures and said she will get back to all of us. Then she used the pictures without paying us or calling us back. This happened 2 years ago. Fast forward now, she added some models to a group and tried to extort them too. She said a beauty brand was going to organize a fashion show and each model is to pay 2000naira to participate in the fashion show. I blew her cover and she removed everyone from the group." Smart one girl, smart one, you might be smart enough to use these models pictures without paying royalties, but you can't be smart enough to erase your name and your act from their memories. You see how you were busted. Now everyone knows the story of how you cheated other models by not paying them but using their pictures without acknowledgement. Old habits never die hard. You even had the guts to tell models to pay to participate for a fashion show?? Sooner or later, karma will serve you what you deserve.

Next story, she also doesn't want her name mentioned. She says, "a guy asked me to pay a sum of 14,000naira to join his agency, I paid. When he demanded for more, I realized it was scam. "

Well the next person has no experience, but she had something to say generally about modelling agencies.  "Mmmm No, the only thing i can say about that is there are some agencies that will ask you to register with them with an huge amount of money with the promise and assurance that you will get jobs. Although you get the jobs, what they get for you are free jobs and at the end, you become stranded. Please if  you can help with that, let them know that we models are not  slaves. Like me, am only following what my mother always tell me. My mother will say "my daughter don't look at the money but look forward to the fame, when fame comes, money will follow." I actually left my former agency on d same issue. Some agent use their models 4 free. People who see my pictures on Facebook always think I am a very rich girl, in school, they think am one of the richest babe on campus, thanks to my pictures and shows i have done. Though I am OK, but I am not what they think I am. So please, you can help us talk more about that. Maybe some agents will stop molesting their models all in d name of being famous. Thanks.

Another model Tobi had something to say. She has no experience but she gave advice to models generally. "Oh well, they are everywhere now and because these people know that a lot of girls want to be models now, they mostly are found in castings trying to entice young new girls to or calling out to models for fake jobs with catchy pays. Most girls fall into these traps because they have no clue on how modelling is yet. So they pay some sort of form or shoot money and stuffs. This applies more to Commercial jobs. A lot of girls want to be on billboards and tv screens. They are induced into paying some amount of money and also having to do stupid stuffs and at the end of the day, it's either fake or they don't get the jobs.

The next experience left me bewildered. Of all the experiences i have been writing here since, you guys should take note of this particular one. I'm not going to mention this person's name. She says, "the man's name is ....., his agency is at Masha, Surulere. I got a bc from a friend and she told me that there will be a show in Calabar and that ushers are needed. Ushers will be paid 70,000naira after the job, the job is for 3 days, feeding and accommodation will be taken care of. I told a friend of mine and she said she is interested. We both went for the audition, we were picked and we were told to pay 5000naira each because we were not under the agency. We paid the money. On the day we were supposed to travel, the man refused to pick his calls. We went to his so called office, it was locked. We contacted other models who were picked and we were told the man tried to sleep with two other girls in his office, he had his way with one of them. We didn't get our money back and we did not do the job. I called the girl that works with the man, she didn't pick her calls and she deleted me off bbm."  Ladies be very careful, especially when it comes to ushering job. I have friends that do ushering jobs. They told me their are two types of ushering jobs, the cheaps ones between the range of 5000naira to lets say 15000naira and the ones with expensive pays which are like 30,000naira upwards. According to them, for the cheap ones, you do your job, collect your money after the job and go home, some supervisors even warn you not to flirt with the guests or even give them your numbers, you should be disciplined. The second type involves the happy hour, after the job, you are required to follow some of the guests home or something before you can be paid. I have never done ushering jobs, so I dont know how true this is. I heard this from two friends who do ushering jobs. Any ushering jobs that involves me travelling, i dont think i can do it especially if I'm knowing the person for the first time. What if (God forbid) they are ritualist or kidnappers or worse still there is an accident on the way. As an usher, only travel for jobs that is provided for by the agency you are under, dont just travel because the money invoved is much. I feel so much pity for the girl who was raped. She might not be able to forgive herself. This also applies to modelling, any job that requires you travelling, makes sure it is provided by your agency, if it is not by your agency, inform your agency, let them do the necessary investigations, that is one of the duties owed to you by them, having your best interest at heart. Be smart, protect yourself, there are too many evil doers in Nigeria, watch and pray.

To crown it all, there was also this news that laila's blog carried about some ladies who sent her emails that they were scammed and duped by persons parading themselves as top models signed under the popular agency Modella Couture.  i actually saw the warning message that the real Modella couture agency put up on Facebook telling people to beware of scammers using their name to dupe unsuspecting models. I'm going to summarize the story, the two individuals cum fraudsters are known as Susan/Sharon and Ashbury. Susan/Sharon changes her name after every successful attempt to dupe a model. They contact you on facebook that they are top models under Modella Couture and that their is this Glo contract coming soon worth 473,000 and you are asked to pay upfront fees totalling 80,000naira, you pay to a director's personal account. According to them, the reason why they are not doing the job is because they are top models that are bigger than the jobs and that the unsuspecting models are being recruited to the agency to do the jobs and that the directors do not know that they are being recruited. After that, they ask you to come and pose naked for a shoot to test your skin. To cut the long story short, they ask you to bring your friends along to build your profile, they even ask you to sleep with them and try to collect more money from you. They sound very convincing. so many girls have fallen into their traps and tricks, they have been exploited sexually and financially. These girls later googled Modella Couture and found out it was all fraud. If you want to know more, just check google.

OK I think I should wrap it up here, this post is getting too long. Next post, I am going to talk about how to spot this fake agencies and I'm also trying to compile a list of modelling agencies in Nigeria and their contact info because I have been getting so many messages from models asking me about agencies they can join. So in my next post I'm going to talk about modelling agencies, paying agency fees, how to spot and avoid fake agencies and a list and contact information of modelling agencies in Nigeria you can join. So I want you guys to learn from today's post and be smarter than you were before.

photo source: Model Mayhem




9 comments:

  1. A Modeling agency should be seriously selective to whom they are going to represent. they'll check many models, however there area unit business standards that the agency should meet so as to fill their client's desires. this can be wherever your "look", height, size, gender, expertise and "market" area unit thought-about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tank becus I actually want to be one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please does any one kmow about jewel ushering agency?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please does anyone know about Mavers Ushering Agency

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is also a scammer
      He told me to pay for uniform 15000 after paying for registration

      Delete
    2. Please can you recommend a legit ushering agency I can work with??
      Ushering jobs are my best bet right now cos I'm schooling

      Delete
    3. I base in Ikotun area of lagos, can you recommend a legit ushering agency I can work for?

      Delete
    4. Here's my email
      aijaychukase@gmail.com
      You can reach me on it
      Thanks in advance

      Delete
  5. olaideyewande@gmail.com.i was scam by an agent now.my 10k is gone.is this supposed to be so am going to post his pictures everywhere

    ReplyDelete