Konga Verified Blogger

Monday 26 January 2015

I NEVER DID FREE SHOWS OR MEDIOCRE JOBS - BOLU 'BLACKBONE' BENSON

   Most models know Bolu probably because of his distinct features, his face with those collar bones which can make (please what is the name of that hot american model that came to Nigeria last year oooo chai!!!) have the lowest of esteem and a body that makes the ladies drooling and begging for more(please check his facebook timeline)or because he is the 1st runner up Elite Model Look Nigeria 2014. Whichever way you know him, whether he is your padi or your crush(whatever *rolls eyes*) he is a very confident person and I like his spirit. Ladies and Gentlemen presenting....


Name
Bolu Olaitan Blackbone Benson

Growing up
Growing up was cool, I was raised by a single parent, my mother to be precise although my father is still alive.

About myself
I have a thing for fashion, an almost obsession for a perfect body, that's why I always work out, I hate being unfit.

How modelling started
  My first year in the university, I did not know how to go about being a model. One day while I was coming back from a vigil, a man approached me. He told me he likes my physique and we got talking. Later on, I was signed to XA Model International. Two years later, I signed up with Beth Model Management Africa.

Journey into elite model look competition
   Initially, I did not intend going for the competition, that is because I believed it is for aspiring models. Anyway, someone pushed me to try it out and the rest became history. I had lots of fun in the house tho.

Modelling before elite
Well I must say it was tough. I am a person who has standards , I never did mediocre jobs or shows. Whenever I go for castings, I get picked and sometimes I get dropped till I noticed you have to belong to either of the two biggest modelling agencies in Nigeria (names withheld).

(Q.) Are you saying before elite, you never did free jobs or walk for small fashion shows.
  To make it clear, modelling is my job, its not just a passion, so I should get paid for any services rendered. No matter who you are, if you call me for any free jobs, I turn it down. I wish every model could adopt this approach, models will have more value. I believe it is cheap models and models of no value that jump on evey free job they come across. This is what give other models bad names. Most models do not know that without them, the fashion industry will crumble.

(Q.) Have you ever at any point in your life become frustrated or want to give up
    No. I'm a stubborn person, when it comes to giving up. A lot of people have told me to stop modelling, but I never listened, I kept on moving. There was I time I was going through a tough time, but I told myself that  if fashion can bring me to my lowest point, then I won't stop until it takes me to my high point.

(Q.) How do you handle the rejection when you get turned down for a job.
Since I got signed with beth, I have only be turned down once. But before I joined Beth, it was really hard, I feel down and dejected, but it doesn't last. Negative vibes and feelings doesn't last in me. I get it over with and move on with the zeal to work harder next time.

(Q.) What do you feel about nude shoots.
Well as a model, I shouldn't be uncomfortable doing nudes, but I have to be well paid.

(Q.)What is one thing you hope to change in the modelling industry if given a chance
Respect and value placed on models.

(Q.) Where do you see yourself in the next five years
I see myself as a top model in new York, and also an actor, I love acting. I hope to be married by then.

(Q.)If not modelling, what do you see yourself doing 
I see myself acting and going into real estate management.

(Q.) Where do you see the Nigerian modelling industry in the next 10 years
I see it as the best in Africa. I believe we have the resources and platform. What we need is a change in mentality

(Q.) How do you keep fit.
I jog twice a week which is very important. I exercise five times a week. I do not push weight any longer because of my chest size. I squatt, do aerobics, do sit up and take lots of water.

(Q.) What's your advice for upcoming models
They should never relent. They should keep working harder. Never give up even if it seems difficult. Models should never compromise, because that is what models do.

Thank you very much for your time, for agreeing to this interview. For enduring my pings and pestering. Thank you.
U wc

No comments:

Post a Comment